Pages

Sunday, April 14, 2013

I just wanted to say hello

Hello! If you can believe it, we had more snow this weekend. Friday, my bus driver made converstaion by asking me if I was ready for another 20 cm. Yesterday morning, I was bundled up in my imitation Uggs, parka, cowl, wool socks, and mittens. Snow was still falling today when I woke up at 5:30, but now, 12 hours later, I've just come in from my first tiny bike ride of the year. Things are melting fast, especially on the roads.

Tim made lentil curry and coriander rice, and I made a salad with cucumber, yogurt, garlic, and dill. After supper I slipped outside, pulled my heavy green cruiser out of the garage, put air in the tires, pulled her over the remnants of a drift in the driveway, and hopped on. It's still too slushy, sandy, and salty to ride Annalena. My green bike's pedals are smaller and less grippy; I can't fully extend my legs when I push down on them. The handlebars are so wide that I steer like I am playing Mario Kart.

I'm always surprised by how much I change every winter. Every spring, I find myself timid on the roads once again, running out of breath more quickly than I remembered, forgetting what I do in the face of an oncoming car in a residential street, self-conscious about how my bum looks when I stand up to pedal. Within weeks I'll be cycling in traffic again. I'll be on a racing bike, in far less clothing. My winter self can hardly believe it.

Tonight I have two British medieval morality plays to read for Tuesday--my second-last final exam. Tim and I are making strawberry ice cream. The grocery stores here are already trotting out fresh strawberries, though they hardly taste on their own and need sugar. It's a false, forced seasonality I don't love--it's somehow un-Canadian, at least for this province where we all know winter still hasn't finished with us--but we got four pounds free last week.

5 comments:

  1. still snowing here in northern Michigan, and strawberries come in late June. But the Sandhill cranes returned today, a hopeful sign

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cranes are incredible. Here, the Canada Geese are coming back, apparently, though I haven't see any yet. I've been hearing chickadees.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Strawberries are a joke this time of year. There are about 1 or 2 weeks in early summer were small, impossibly red and very sweet Alberta strawberries show up at the Strathcona Market. They are such a welcome treat.

    Happy Homestretch! See you maybe tomorrow at 3B?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I rather think homemade strawberry ice-cream is the perfect accompaniment for british medieval morality plays... and please do post your recipe (for the fennel one too! blessings across the seas xx

    ReplyDelete

Speak your piece.