Pages

Sunday, November 20, 2011

slow

Can I just say outright that on this, the 20th day of November, I have not completed 19 poems? I have completed 13, if I count the each of the 10 in "An uncharitable sketch". You could also say that I've completed 4. Two of them are very good. I've wanted to loathe myself for this output, but I can't.



Because I no longer hate every minute that I am writing. To snatch an image from Anne Lamott, I sit quietly, stringing beads on a string. I do not panic when I leave a piece unfinished for tomorrow. (I am not so eager to force the process.) It is very good. It is so slow I hardly feel like I am working, more like I am mindlessly, stupidly incubating.

But still, part of me wants to write as many poems as possible before the end of the month, to make good on my plan.

2 comments:

  1. When I wrote a poem for each day one month, I'd get backlogged and have to churn out several poems in a single day. Most were total garbage, never to be looked at again, but it was important for me to finish them. To continue working on the goal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, one and a half yesterday. We'll see what I can do tonight.

    I am so sorry about Pilot.

    ReplyDelete

Speak your piece.