Pages

Friday, September 9, 2011

journal excerpts: autumn ideals and Francesca the violin



Friday, August 26, 2011

I am eager to be back home, making plans and working on things again. One thing to start on right away is a September goals list, as well as a more general goals list for the Fall semester. I want to be careful, though, to make a realistically-accomplishable list--somewhat like the one I made before I left for Africa, though more long-term and in some ways, less concrete.



Sunday, September 4, 2011

For lack of a better beginning, my year of personal work starts tomorrow with the first of a new regular (weekday, opening) shift at Transcend. My class on cyborgs and post-humanism starts on Wednesday. Five full days a week are my own . . . A self-imposed structure will be crucial. I hope my plans are feasible. Every day (or most days) I'd like to spend a few minutes tidying the apartment, complete a set of exercises (arms, legs, or core, depending on the day), practice violin for at least 30 minutes, sit down to write something (with a plan to "finish" three "pieces" a week), go for a walk or bike ride, and read a good deal. I'll continue working through my uncompleted summer reading list into October at least, I suspect. Also, for fun (and decided after a conversation with Amelia today), I'll try to brush up on my left-hand printing. This notebook will likely soon become almost illegible.



September Goals:

- lose three pounds
- finish GEB, Dr. Zhivago, Godel's Proof, and The Selfish Gene
- fill this notebook
- send off three new poems to at least one magazine
- continue growing out hair
- pay off last 40 dollars of student loan
- save 100 dollars, in cash, for frivolity (tips)
- finish Justina's sweater



Friday, September 9, 2011

I am working on the G-major, -melodic minor, and -harmonic minor scales. A Wohlfahrt study (No. 31). Gavotte en Rondeau by J.S.B., and maybe soon, the first movement of Vivaldi's Concerto in A Minor.

Tim is happy to see me play.

2 comments:

  1. I love this.

    Also, a class on cyborgs?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it too.

    A class on cyborgs. Ironically, it is already the most difficult class I have ever taken. But incredibly interesting (and full of Star Wars).

    ReplyDelete

Speak your piece.