Pages

Saturday, April 9, 2011

an update

My holiday from the scale continues. I'm no longer scared about the number, I'd just rather concentrate on behaviors for now. What sorts of behaviors?

Not eating at night, gallivanting about on my bicycle, drinking water, planning meals, preventing running injuries, painting fingernails...

I've felt wonderful this week. My skin is glowing, my jeans fit better, my digestive system is happy to be waking up hungry, my metabolism is back, my stomach feels flatter, my legs feel stronger.

The one black spot has been some recurring shin splints. The race is tomorrow, and though I have a plan, and a playlist, and lots of carbs on the counter for breakfast, I am worried that my legs are going to fail me. My running has been on-again, off-again for the past two weeks, and I think that only with two ibuprofens and a lot of luck am I going to be able to run tomorrow. Up until I picked up my race package this afternoon (thinking I might as well claim my free t-shirt), I wasn't even planning to show up. My plans have changed. I have come a long way this year. Even though I won't be able to run the entire course without walking breaks, and even though I may have to walk the last section if my shins start to act up, I am determined to prove to myself what I can do.

I'll post a report tomorrow night. Wish me all the luck you can muster.

(Goals for the upcoming week? To run a couple of short distances, concentrating on my form. To bike every day to make the hills easy again. To climb 75 flights of stairs at least once. To use the dumbbells twice.)

6 comments:

  1. Do you have soft trails to run on? The only reason why I don't have knee and hip issues is because I run trails or gravel instead of pavement. What surface are you pounding and is there a softer alternative???

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am worried about how you are feeling about the scale and how that makes you feel about losing weight. This is how my eating disorder started and then I was a slave to the scale and the number. I am glad you are giving it a rest but please remember that you are beautiful just the way you are. Women are all different sizes and it doesn't matter which size you are. I hope you are okay.
    *hugs*
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Plume: I run on sidewalk and asphalt trails, unfortunately. I actually think that part of the problem is my shoes. I've been reading up on it, and it seems that the best footwear is the closest thing to no footwear. I am thinking to invest in some vibrams, and try to keep to the grass when it dries out a bit.

    Sairs: Actually, I am more comfortable with the scale than I have been in a long time (NOT weighing myself every morning, and feeling good about it, is great progress). Having suffered from anorexia/bulimia, I can confidently say that my attitude towards my body is nothing like it was five years ago.

    I hope you're doing well too. Thanks very much for the sweet comment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH!
    This post is an inspiration my dear!
    Just take it easy out there...Race yourself...You haven't done it before right? So any time is a winner! And you are way, way ahead of all those who sit at home watching TV...
    Perhaps the blender fund should go into a shoe fund? Have you tried the thrift stores for a blender? I've seen dozens and bought a nice chrome and glass jarred one {Betty Crocker I believe} awhile ago for $7....I don't think it was even used...I use my Magic Bullet constantly. Not sure how much those are...

    Best of luck Lizzy with your race and everything...
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used to run barefoot on sidewalks. Of course, I lived in a nice area then and the side walks were clean and free of nails or glass or even rocks. Its a different feeling, and I'm sure it hurts if you have sensitive feet but you get used to it. Start out slow and over time your feet will toughen. I feel that you can really sense the ground your running on. Heres an article on it http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2009/07/barefoot/

    The other option is of course Vibram Five Fingers which I haven't yet tried. Better of course, if you live in an area thats not clean or you just don't like the weird looks people give you.

    ReplyDelete

Speak your piece.