Pages

Friday, April 29, 2011

summer reading program

These are all the books I want to read this summer. Two years into a BA, my best education continues to happen on my own time.

Freedom Evolves - Daniel Dennet
The Bell Jar - Sylvia Plath
Godel, Escher, Bach - Douglas Hofstadter
Godel's Proof - Newman and Nagel
To the Lighthouse - Virginia Woolf
Dr. Zhivago - Boris Pasternak
Le Ton beau de Marot - Douglas Hofstadter
The Bit and the Pendulum - Tom Siegfried
Atonement - Ian MacEwan
The Metamorphosis - Franz Kafka
Little Dorrit - Charles Dickens
A Brief History of Time - Stephen Hawking
The Diary of Anne Frank
Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen
I Am A Strange Loop - Douglas Hofstadter
The Selfish Gene - Richard Dawkins

5 comments:

  1. The Bell Jar... I have been meaning to re-read it (again). It is so brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS: I kept trying to find a way to describe to you my favourite paragraph in the book, but a description of it is just not the same, and therefore I couldn't come up with anything intelligent to say about the book. I don't want to spoil anything, and at the same time, I can't do it justice by describing it.

    PPS: This is a good list of books. It will be a well-rounded summer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A tasty summer...{I've read 2-5-6-9-11-13-14}
    I want to read the new translation of Pasternak's Zhivago {Richard Pevear and Larissa Volokhonsky} though, apparently it is a much better version than the one I read years ago...
    Incessant reading has taught me far more than any other thing...Even experience {sadly?}
    Do let us know what you think of these titles as you work through them Lizzie.
    XO
    Happy May!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Goodness, Lizzy. That is a glorious list. I very much approve of the Virginia Woolf installment! If you enjoy her writing in To The Lighthouse, I'll have to show you The Hours.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha so true, my education does the same. And all these books are on my list too.
    I have an award for you on my blog X

    http://slightlytruestories.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Speak your piece.