Pages

Sunday, March 27, 2011

an update

Well, I seem to have hit a plateau. My weight has refused to budge past 146. All the health-and-fitness blogs inform me that this is the time to concentrate on behaviors and habits rather than on numbers, and I am trying to follow their sound advice. Let's have a general slew of accomplishments and encouraging results, shall we?

1. 146. Compared to 164 (a nice flip), it's not so bad.

2. 90-second planks. I've done many of them over the past couple of weeks.

3. Cycling. Though I have yet to unveil my new horse, I have been riding Kate to school and work. The roads and sidewalks are finally clear enough to make mid-length trips a possibility. Riding again is luxurious after a winter of busing and walking.

4. Cues. With a couple of exceptions, I have been eating when hungry and stopping when satisfied (not "full"), and doing it automatically. Meals are more enjoyable. Hunger is the best cook.

5. Green Monsters. These have become a staple. These are the two recipes I use most often:

- 1/4 avocado
- 4 or 5 big handfuls raw spinach
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5 or 6 ice cubes

- 1/4 avocado
- 3 tablespoons cacao nibs
- 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1 cup milk
- 4 or 5 handfuls raw spinach
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon matcha powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 5 or 6 ice cubes

The past week, I've been adding dollops of 0% Greek yogurt, after buying a tub on a whim and finding it inedible in everything else.

6. Skin. Benzyl peroxide works pretty damn well.

7. Tea. I have been drinking much more unadulterated leaf tea than usual (also, more 5 ounce cappuccinos and not a single 10 ounce latte).

8. Running. This is a mixed bag. While running 3 km (in order to make a March goal), I developed horrible shin splints, from which I have yet to recover. On the other hand, I did run (with a few short walking breaks) all the way to and across the high-level bridge, which used to be a significant bike trip for me.

9. Brightly coloured (fruits and) vegetables? Check. March has seen broccoli, beets, tomatoes, strawberries, green peas, carrots, sweet potato, red grapes, mango, and spinach.

Goals for this week? First, to actually write an update next Sunday. Second, to lose two pounds. Third, to run again if my legs feel better.

UPDATE: I ran. It was good. It was my best run yet. Also, my motivation to lose weight has probably quadrupled, because tonight Tim promised to make nanaimo bars the second I get down to 144.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Speak your piece.