Pages

Sunday, January 16, 2011

a bowl of soup

which included
roasted sweet potato and red onions
chickpeas
yellow curry
coconut milk
gala apples
pumpkin
nutmeg
red peppers
green onions
salt
and pepper




Is it possible that such a concentrated brew of curry and vitamins didn't seem sufficient?

I am fighting hibernation.

The snow hasn't stopped for a week, and the drifts hide the houses. Everything is impossible.

My skin is angry. I have been taking longer and longer naps. The back of my neck aches from the cold.

I am deeply resentful of the trips to and from school; they are more of an ordeal every day.

I miss the room to move. I can't acknowledge my muscles. I can hardly straighten up.

I am smothered in snow.

4 comments:

  1. dear snow-smothered love,
    I hope your skin gets some relief today - it really should having had that delicious soup. Sending all my warm and clammy weather your way xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh but your words!
    your words they move...
    they move quite well.

    xo Lizzie. Do you need a scarf for your neck?
    A

    ReplyDelete
  3. Emily, thank you. I would love some warm and clammy weather. Even having grown up on the prairies, the buckets of snow confound me.

    It's a Dylan Thomas snow: "Our snow was not only shaken from white wash buckets down the sky, it came shawling out of the ground and swam and drifted out of the arms and hands and bodies of the trees; snow grew overnight on the roofs of the houses like a pure and grandfather moss, minutely -ivied the walls and settled on the postman, opening the gate, like a dumb, numb thunder-storm of white, torn Christmas cards."

    Andrea, thank you as well. My words have felt just as cramped as my legs lately, and I'm glad they're making it across.

    I would LOVE a scarf.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is there a sauna that you can slip in to? I am loathe to suggest it, but a few minutes in a tanning bed might help, too.

    When there is no warmth from the sun to be found, it's perfectly ok to unfreeze your bones with a little technology :-)

    ReplyDelete

Speak your piece.