Pages

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

journal excerpt, November 25





I have this crazy idea to write a Christmas suite of poems, crazy mostly because I am an Atheist, and this holiday has been somehow taken away from me.

I want church, incense, carols, candles, a pagan tree, a creche.

I crave the spiritual discipline of a waiting season, of Advent.

Though I am as certain as ever that souls do not exist, I am equally certain that at times it feels exactly as if I had one. There is certainly some dimension of me that responds to everything (or nearly everything) the Catholics prescribe for the health of the soul.

It's presumptuous of me.

3 comments:

  1. I have these feelings too, and through I've arrived at a different place, I know there is something quite wonderful and strange that we have the ability to muse and ponder metaphysically about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCNvZqpa-7Q

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is really interesting, I want to hear more of these thoughts. I' m curious of the continuation...

    ReplyDelete

Speak your piece.