Pages

Friday, October 22, 2010

an update

This week I just tried to get back on track, after a week-long lapse due to stress and a mountain of homework. I tried to do several things:

- exercise every day while avoiding re-injury to my leg
- rein in my habit of eating in the evenings
- drink enough water
- pay attention to my hunger, craving, and satiety cues

Something worked. I've had the most rewarding and exciting week since I began this plan in August. This week:

- I broke my hula hooping record, hooping for five minutes straight
- I started practicing hooping to the left, which, it turns out, does not come automatically with the mastery of rightwards hooping
- I broke my push-ups record, doing 10 real push-ups in a row (which means I need to set a new push-ups goal)
- I had fun biking to school
- I went out to eat, and, for the first time in my life, did not feel sick and overstuffed afterwards. I ate only what I was hungry for, and didn't even want more.
- I adjusted my weight goal, from 130 pounds to 135, after looking up a BMI chart and realizing that weighing 130 pounds would put me at an unhealthy weight for my height. This decision is a significant sign that, for the first time in my life, I do not want to be underweight. I want to be strong. Healthy. Beautiful. More things than simply "thin".
- I ate piles of delicious, delicious mushrooms
- I lost 3 pounds
- I experienced the startling sensation of a pair of grey cotton leggings making their way off my waist and towards my ankles. I seem to have outshrunk my first item of clothing.

Here are my current stats, with my stats from August 23 in brackets:

Weight: 154 pounds (164 pounds)
Jeans size: ? - I'm still wearing my 10s, but they are loose (10)
Time I'm able to run in place: 6 minutes (4 minutes)
Number of push-ups I can do in a row: 10 (3)
Average bike trip: 10 km (8 km)
Activity over the past week: 5 hours (3 hours)
Time I can hoop: 5 minutes (30 seconds)
Distance I can run without stopping: 0.6 km (0.2 km)
Longest run/walk: 5 km (1.5 km)
Average run/walk: 2.5 km (1.5 km)

As for goals, this week I'd like to:
- continue to avoid eating after 7 pm
- run 0.75 km in one stretch
- practice leftwards hooping
- lose one pound
- assess my jump rope skills, and start including jumping rope in my stats
- take my vitamins every day

Before Christmas I'd like to:
- do 15 push-ups in a row
- run 1 km at a stretch
- go swimming with Laura
- have people over for dinner
- weigh 150 pounds

P.S. Thanks for putting up with the minutiae of this process. I promise to try and post some provocative photo soon.

5 comments:

  1. I'm very impressed by your progress, Lizzy! I'm very excited about your current push up status! When I read that, I thought I'd suggest that you consider adding "clap push ups" to your goal list. Since you can do 10 real push ups in a row, I'm sure your arms are ready -at least to try.

    A clap push up is just like a regular push up except that you push yourself up a little harder and clap your hands before hitting the ground again. They're very fun -once you lose the fear that you'll fall flat on your face- and doing them makes a person feel like Rocky Balboa. A worthy goal, to be sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It seems that you are doing the right thing the right way to get where you need to be.
    Congrats Lizzy!
    xo
    A

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks to both of you! It feels great, knowing that others are rooting for you.

    Laura, I'll add them to my list. Feeling like Rocky Balboa is probably an unconscious life-goal of everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. - rein in my habit of eating in the evenings
    I think this is the hardest. Good luck, I hope you succeed.
    Lovely books, very nice poetry.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Lida! And thanks for dropping a comment.

    ReplyDelete

Speak your piece.