Pages

Saturday, October 2, 2010

the second of October, on a Saturday

I am overwhelmed -

with a reading list 600 pages long
with two essays and a project coming up due
and the essays not started
with the heavy feeling in my stomach
not knowing whether I'm hungry or full
with my neglected notebook
with my neglected river valley on this glorious day
with Kant and Freud and how desperately wrong
they can be,
with my dirty hair
with a pile of laundry
and the mountain of recycling
with the dying garden
with its last spurt of life
with ripped fingernails

- and I do not know where to start,
what to fight,
what to acknowledge and nod to

4 comments:

  1. Oh Lizzy.
    Me too...
    Blinders not sunglasses for these eyes...
    xo
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  2. I srsly hate Freud. HATE!
    Feeling overwhelmed by school sucks too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sorry you feel so overwhelmed. I remember when I was studying I felt the same way, which is why I don't now and I work full time (funnily enough or not at a university). I am not sure if it will help but try and break it down a bit. Do bits and pieces of one thing while also doing bits and pieces of another. Getting a headway in more than one area might help you to get started and to not feel so overwhelmed like how you feel when you look at the whole. I know it's hard but you can do it. I know you can!
    ~Sarah~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Andrea: At least we're not lonesome.

    K: My professor loves Freud. Or maybe he envies his penis.

    Sairs: Thanks ever so much for your encouraging, lovely words.

    ReplyDelete

Speak your piece.