Pages

Monday, June 28, 2010

On why, as a starving student, I am only working two days a week during the summer

Well, because I can't work one. Two shifts a week makes me 150 dollars a week, which is just enough to live on. I can pay my share of the rent and groceries, and buy the occasional book, bottle of perfume, stack of cardstock or lovely shirt every month.

I (along with Bertrand Russel) tout the benefits of constructive 'idleness'. During the five days I'm home, I'm reading, writing, biking, cooking, zining, doing Other Voices work, and thinking. Why should I spend my days otherwise, if I don't need to?

This past week I've been etsy-ing quite a lot too. If it pays off, it will pay off in cold, hard... paypal deposits.

3 comments:

  1. If two shifts makes you $120, two shifts makes you $120. You're lucky.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been living in on and off constructive idleness since the beginning of May. It's pleasent.

    Paypal is funnily anti-climatic, don't you think?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Paypal is anti-climactic. In fact, Paypal doesn't even have a build-up. Selling things, though, is a thrilling thrill.

    ReplyDelete

Speak your piece.