Pages

Saturday, June 19, 2010

June 19

Today: another test of my cheerfulness. I'm back at the sausage shop in one hour.

I have never been very good at going to work. The money never seems quite worth the time away from real work, away from Tim, away from tea, quiet and books.

But, like everyone else, I have to earn my keep, and the people at the sausage shop are really very nice. Plus, I don't have to eat any sausage, since they think I'm a vegetarian. Plus, I get a free pretzel bun for lunch.

I had to leave in the middle of my shift yesterday, feeling dizzy and nauseous, my eyes swimming and jumping. Today I'll do my best to make it up to the other girls. I'll put on mascara, fix my hair, and arrive right on time. I'll smile at the customers, and move fast. This day will not be a pleasure, but it will be endurable, and at the end of it, I'll have made my grocery money for the month, and maybe learned some German.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Speak your piece.